Friday, May 27, 2005

House Hunt Commence!

AAArrgghh! I just wrote this entry and AOL knocked me off before I could save it!!!

 

Anyways, Jay and I are house-hunting again although this time more seriously. His mom, Jay, and I went to look at a house last night in Wayne. The house was cute and had a number of positives. The property was a nice size albeit quite narrow. It had a new roof, new carpeting, and new marble in the bathroom. The kitchen was a nice size, bright and modern. The first floor bedroom and living room however, were about the size of a small guest room. The bedroom couldn't accomodate more than a twin size bed. The living room would not even fit Jay's couch. There was a staircase from the kitchen that led up to the upstairs "master bedroom." It was unbelievable; a room built for midgets! We could maybe fit a bed but no dressers! The ceiling was so low that Jay hit his head on it! The basement was also frightening. You had to lift up a cut out piece of the wood flooring by the front door to get to the place I call a dungeon. It was like 6'x6' and was all dirty, musty cinderblock. I almost fell down the steps getting down there because they were all broken and uneven.

All in all, the place had nice features: yard, bathroom, kitchen. These aspects were not enough to overshadow the negative ones. I think we would feel trapped in that house if we lived there. Not to mention, where would we put all of our stuff!

We spoke to the agent for a while last night about what we are looking for. We want to have a relatively easy commute to our jobs in Yonkers and NYC, 2 or more bedrooms, an eat-in kitchen, not a galley kitchen ~ my request, and if he finds a townhouse, they must accept pets. He is supposed to send me listings today which I wish he'd do already! He also recommended that I talk to one of the "mortgage people" at his office to get pre-approved. We really need to do this to see how much we can afford. Maybe we can do a little better than this place. It was listed at $259,000, super low for anything around here for all you Nashville-ites that can get a mansion by you for much less.... <grumble grumble>

That's all for now folks! Over and out!

No comments: