Monday, February 25, 2008

Hung Jury

After nearly a month of trial and 3 days of deliberations, we the jury could not come to a conclusion. I am extremely saddened that this experience ended this way. These people waited 4 years to get this case to court and they still don't have a resolution. The wind has been knocked out of my sails and I feel burned out and just plain sad. When one of the lawyers said, "Thank you for trying," that was it for me. I couldn't exit that courtroom fast enough, my eyes just filled up in an instant.

This experience was so interesting to me, as you've read. I looked forward to coming everyday until we reached deliberations. Things got ugly and tense right away. The only positive thing I can say about the outcome (or lack thereof) is that everyone truly stuck to their guns. No one was willing to waver from their beliefs. At least both sides of this case can know that we battled until the bitter end and really gave this a great deal of thought and effort. They didn't get a jury that was willing to just do whatever needed to be done to get the heck outta there. We wanted to do what was right.

I can't help but think however, about the fact that they have to go through this process all over again. I'd love to know what the new jury thinks. I wonder if I'll ever know.

Tags: ,

No comments: