Sunday, February 10, 2008

Juror #3

That's me. Juror #3. And this has been my home away from home for the last 2 weeks-
You guessed it, I'm on jury duty. And I have to be honest. I'm loving it! In fact, I will even go so far as to say that I will miss it when it ends. I'm sure my boss won't. I feel like being a juror IS my job. I have pretty much the same hours, same lunch break, similar commute length. But the pay is definitely not the same. As a juror, we get paid $5 a day. Fortunately, I hope, my real job will pay me for performing my civic duty. I always knew I'd like jury duty and I was right. It's just so exciting! And I have the best seat in the house! All the sidebars, objections, and evidence! To be a part of all this is really incredible. Along with it however comes a major responsibility. This trial was years and many dollars in the making. And many more dollars are on the line. I have been taking copious notes - 45 pages so far. I want to be 100% sure when deliberation time comes that I'm making the right decision. The trial will probably end in a week or so and I'll return to my normal life. I hope to stay in touch with some of the jurors, we've already become like a little family. So many different ages and personalities thrown together by chance. I've learned a lot from them and this experience as a whole. So should you get that dreaded jury duty notice in the mail, look at is as an opportunity to learn new things, meet new people, and to make a difference. I have enjoyed this more than most of the classes I took in college!

No comments: