Monday, April 18, 2005

Current Executive Decision

Well, a new decision has been made. This is it. We are moving my grandpa into a Sunrise Assisted Living Community - Sunrise of Woodcliff Lake. He really needs more attention and care than if he moved back into his apartment. This whole thing makes me sad. I feel horrible that he can't go back to his "home" again : (

We're going to bring him a bunch of his things to make his Sunrise apartment more homey. What I'm worried about right now is all the stress he's going through because of this. I hope it doesn't kill him : ( He keeps calling the house with concerns that pop up into his head. I imagine he's not sleeping well. It also doesn't help that his roommate blasts Saving Private Ryan and other war movies 24/7.

The Sunrise place is lovely and he will have his own space. They said they'd bring him his meals so he doesn't HAVE TO eat in the dining room, although, they'd like him to eventually. We all would. It would be good for him to not be  so anti-social. Can't say I blame him though.

This is tough for me, tough for all of us. It's not like he's "out of it" or anything. He is of sound mind. He doesn't want this. He wants to go back to his independant life, but he can't. This place encourages independance which is good. He'll have his own mini-apartment, he can lock the door. He can have his own pictures and knick-knacks.

I wonder if he thinks about my grandma through all this. They were married over 50 years and she died in 1994. We think that's why he wants to go to the apartment again. He wants to live where they lived together and where she died.I don't know if he still does, but he used to spray her perfume on his pillow to remind him of her. Now that's true love.

 

Man this is tough. Getting old is hard. : (

My poor grandpa.

No comments: