Friday, April 8, 2005

A Real Update Entry

It's been awhile since I did a real update in this journal.

My grandfather had a mild embolic stroke about two weeks ago. He was weak on his left side and blind in his left eye but has since regained a little strength and his vision. His doctor has decided that he should no longer live alone.

My family was considering having a live-in stay with him in his apartment but now they are considering a nursing home. Right now he's in a rehab/nursing home type place that is really nice. It's family owned and is like a resort inside. There's a beautiful dining room with linens and fresh flowers on all the tables. There's a nice deck and "backyard." In the lobby, 3 cats wander around all day. My grandpa gets a kick out of them. There's also a piano that some of the patients play. My grandpa enjoys listening to it and naming the songs. This would be a good place for him since he gets to interact with people - something he hasn't done much of since my grandma died in 1994.

The staff even put my grandpa in a room with a fellow Yankee fan. They're also going to get them the YES network so they can see all the games. My grandpa even likes the food - he said it's "not bad," which is a rave coming from him : )

Now we have to working on either cleaning or cleaning out his apartment. If he eventually goes back there to live with a live-in they place will need to be in order. We also have to remove valuables. If he stays where he is, which we'd prefer, the apartment needs to be cleaned out so rent won't continue to be paid for nothing.

I have to go see him this weekend, it's been about a week since I've seen him.

No comments: