Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Grandpa Update

I had to take a personal day yesterday.

My mother woke up in the early morning hours with a panic attack. She had a full day ahead of her confronting the administration of the nursing home/ rehabilitation center where my grandfather is now. They have not been doing right by him. She also needed to speak with someone at an assisted living facility to see if that's a viable option for my grandfather. She was very upset and dreaded the thought of handling this on her own. She needed my help. I toyed with the idea of just coming in late but didn't think that it was feasible; and it wasnt. These tasks consumed our entire day.

We yelled at rehab center people and then checked out Sunrise. You've probably seen them around. They are BEAUTIFUL assisted living communities. I want to live there! You get to live in this mansion and have your own little apartment. Someone does your laundry and makes your bed everyday. But you have so much privacy; you can lock your door. The place is drop-dead gorgeous. They have a lovely dining room and bistro and a yellow lab named Abby that lives there : ) They also have tons of activities. Yesterday they were doing ceramics! My mom and I were there for like 2 hours.   We have to convince Grandpa how wonderful this place is. He doesn't belong in a real nursing home, this would be perfect for him. He'd still have his independence. There is a bit of time pressure because theres a special going on now until Friday. You save $25 a day for the duration of his stay there. That's a lot considering it's normally like $120 a day!!!   My parents are going back Thursday. They want to bring him there so he can be in on the decision-making. This would be his new, permanent home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck, Grandpa!